- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 12 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce and paste, ketchup, brown sugar and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each bun. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Simple Sloppy Joes in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p99
Reviews for Simple Sloppy Joes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 9, 2013
"Our favorite sloppy joe recipe."
Reviewed Jan. 30, 2012
"I've made this several times. It goes together quickly and always gets rave reviews from my family. I like it served over homemade corn bread."
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2011
"Easy & yummy!~ Theresa"