Shrimp fans will be bowled over by our Test Kitchen’s tasty take on chowder. The creamy broth is chock-full of vegetables. Chop up leftover cooked potatoes or use canned ones.
Featured In: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, celery, carrot and sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 pound cooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced potatoes, drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, carrot and red pepper in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the shrimp, potatoes, broth, corn, seafood seasoning and thyme. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 5 cups.
Originally published as Simple Shrimp Chowder in Cooking for 2 Fall 2006, p8
Reviews for Simple Shrimp Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2015 Edited Jan. 12, 2015
"Soup was perfect, husband loved it. Had to use plain soy milk, dairy allergy, used fresh potatoes, and cream corn, all I had. Thick, creamy and seasonings were perfect. Will be on our regular Sunday night soup menu."