Simple Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Simple Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) home-style beef gravy
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each casserole):
- 2 to 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the gravy, vegetables and onion. Spoon half into a greased 2-qt. baking dish or four oven-safe 2-cup dishes. Top with mashed potatoes. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Place the remaining beef mixture in a freezer container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 3. To prepare frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator; transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with the potatoes, butter and paprika; bake as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Reviews for Simple Shepherd's Pie
Sort By :
"Very easy to make and you can use any vegetables you like, I also added minced garlic about a 1/4 teas. Will certainly made this one again and again."
"Yum . . . I used canned corn, peas, carrots, Rotel and beef gravy with instant mashed potatoes. I will be making this again!"
"This is a quick and easy recipe! I used some leftover ground veal and added some cubed and sauteed mushrooms along with the veggies. Started fixing it at 4, we were eating at 5."
"The Way I would make this is to simply take left over Beef Stew and put it in a large baking dish and put moist Mashed Potatoes on top n bake it for a hour with bisquits."
"Sorry, this is five stars!"
"I had never made Shepherd's Pie and tried this recipe. I didn't have canned gravy, so made my own using bouillion. I added celery, garlic, although I don't think I'd use garlic the next time. My husband and I really liked this and I will make it again."
"I subsituted green beans and tomato soup, added onions, instant potatoes on top and shredded cheese. Very good!"
"I added cheese to my and that make it the 5th star."
"I used peas and carrots I had on hand, added beef gravy, leftover meatloaf with beefy onion mix with a little ketchup in it and leftover mashed potatoes. I mixed cut up chedder cheese cubes in the potatoes and added a few herbs and seasonings on top. :)"
"I have made several times. This recipe can be changed to suit the veg. you have on hand. This time I was out of gravy in a jar and sub. gravy from an envelope and is turned out great. I used real onion & garlic in the ground beef."
"I did not have beef gravy or frozen Veggies. I used canned mixed vegetables from Del Monte that has carrots, corn, green beans and a few limas. I did not have beef gravy, so I took one and a partial envelope of Liptons Onion soup mix, mixid it with 24 oz of h2o and some corn starch to thicken. I added some onion powder and garlic powder, mixed this all together with the cooked beef, put mashed potatoes on top and baked it at 350 for 30 min. I then sprinled grated chedder cheese on top and cooked it another 5 min. to melt the cheese. My men folk loved it and went back for 2nd and 3rd helpings."
"I didn't think it was too bland at all. This is not a flavorful dish. I enjoyed it so much though. I just used corn and peas since I didn't have any carrots on hand. I cannot wait to defrost the second batch some time and make it again. I used instant potatoes and they were not runny one bit."
"So simple and quick! Since there were only two of us eating, I halved the recipe, no freezer space for the other half! To spice it up, I used thyme, black pepper and paprika and refrigerated potatoes to save time. Good recipe for ground venison. Can't wait to make again!!"
"I agree too bland. I added cumin, garlic powder, salt & pepper."
"Use package of mashed potatoes, any flavor, from the fridge(no frozen) section of grocery. better texture and flavor than instant potatoes and faster prep that fresh potatoes unless your using leftover mashed potatoes."
"I like to store several of these in a Ziploc in my freezer. It's easy to make ahead of time."
"I used instant mashed potatoes in this recipe, it really was runny."