Simple Shepherd's Pie
If I know my day will be hectic, I'll pull the meat mixture for this convenient, family-pleasing pie out of the freezer to thaw. And if you use frozen or instant mashed potatoes to top the pie, it's even quicker to fix. —Paula Zsiray, Logan, Utah
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) home-style beef gravy
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each casserole):
- 2 to 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Add the gravy, vegetables and onion. Spoon half into a
- greased 2-qt. baking dish or four oven-safe 2-cup dishes. Top with
- mashed potatoes. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated
- through. Place the remaining beef mixture in a freezer container and
- freeze for up to 3 months.
- To prepare frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator; transfer to a
- greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with the potatoes, butter and
- paprika; bake as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).