Simple Shepherd's Pie Recipe
If I know my day will be hectic, I'll pull the meat mixture for this convenient, family-pleasing pie out of the freezer to thaw. And if you use frozen or instant mashed potatoes to top the pie, it's even quicker to fix. —Paula Zsiray, Logan, Utah
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) home-style beef gravy
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each casserole):
- 2 to 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the gravy, vegetables and onion. Spoon half into a greased 2-qt. baking dish or four oven-safe 2-cup dishes. Top with mashed potatoes. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Place the remaining beef mixture in a freezer container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 3. To prepare frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator; transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with the potatoes, butter and paprika; bake as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC