Simple Shepherd's Pie Recipe
If I know my day will be hectic, I'll pull the meat mixture for this convenient, family-pleasing pie out of the freezer to thaw. And if you use frozen or instant mashed potatoes to top the pie, it's even quicker to fix. —Paula Zsiray, Logan, Utah
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) home-style beef gravy
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each casserole):
- 2 to 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the gravy, vegetables and onion. Spoon half into a greased 2-qt. baking dish or four oven-safe 2-cup dishes. Top with mashed potatoes. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Place the remaining beef mixture in a freezer container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 3. To prepare frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator; transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with the potatoes, butter and paprika; bake as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC