- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Melted caramels or chocolate, optional
- Chopped nuts, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, vanilla and almond extract if desired. Add flour, beat until a stiff dough forms. Divide dough in half. Press into two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Use a fork to prick the dough over the entire surface randomly or in a pattern.
- Bake at 300° for 35 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Immediately turn out onto a cutting surface. While warm, cut into 12 wedges using a sharp knife or pizza cutter. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve plain or drizzle with melted caramel or chocolate and sprinkle with nuts if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Simple Scottish Shortbread
"Absolutely delicious! My go to basic shortbread. I also omit the vanilla and/or almond extract for peppermint during the holidays, orange or lemon extract and zest during the spring and summer. Very versatile and even better dipped in dark chocolate!"
"I made this shortbread and gave it to a number of friends for Christmas presents. It is a wonderful recipe, I omitted the almond extract and sprinkled 1 Tablespoonful of sugar on top of each shortbread before baking. They turned out excellent!"