Simple Sausage Strata
In Clarksville, Tennessee, Bonnie Coffman starts this convenient casserole with a simple bread base. Then she adds cheese, eggs and succulent sausage to create a satisfying sunrise meal.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 6 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- Pinch pepper
- Place bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a
- large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in mustard. Sprinkle sausage and cheese evenly over
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, cream and pepper. Pour over cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes
- before cutting into squares. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 286 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 423 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 13 g protein.