Simple Sausage Strata Recipe
- 6 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- Pinch pepper
- 1. Place bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in mustard. Sprinkle sausage and cheese evenly over bread.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, cream and pepper. Pour over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 286 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 423 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 13 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.