In Clarksville, Tennessee, Bonnie Coffman starts this convenient casserole with a simple bread base. Then she adds cheese, eggs and succulent sausage to create a satisfying sunrise meal.
- 6 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- Pinch pepper
- Place bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in mustard. Sprinkle sausage and cheese evenly over bread.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, cream and pepper. Pour over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Simple Sausage Strata in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p12
Reviews for Simple Sausage Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review