Simple Sausage Minestrone Recipe
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- 2/3 cup Johnsonville® Polish Kielbasa Sausage or Polish sausage, quartered
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) tomato juice
- 1/4 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towel. In the drippings, saute sausage, onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Stir in the carrot and celery. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until sausage is lightly browned; drain.
- 2. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato juice, zucchini and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the beans and macaroni; heat through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups (prepared with turkey sausage, reduced-sodium chicken broth and reduced-sodium tomato juice; calculated without salt) equals 277 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,194 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 16 g protein.