Fresh mushrooms and cream of mushroom soup create the speedy simmered sauce that covers these ground beef patties. The family-pleasing entree is perfect for a busy weeknight. —Elouise Bonar of Hanover, Illinois
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup soup and onion. Crumble the beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six patties. In a large nonstick skillet, brown the patties on both sides; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, browning sauce if desired, salt and remaining soup; stir in mushrooms. Pour over patties. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and meat is no longer pink. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Simple Salisbury Steak in Light & Tasty August/September 2002, p27
Reviews for Simple Salisbury Steak
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review