Simple Minestrone Recipe
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- 1/3 cup smoked turkey kielbasa, quartered
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1/4 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towel. In the drippings, saute sausage, onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Stir in the carrot and celery. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until sausage is lightly browned; drain.
- 2. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, tomato juice, zucchini and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the beans and macaroni; heat through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 267 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1256mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Simple Minestrone
"I altered some of the measurements since it only makes two servings and we're a family of four (tripled the broth, tomatoes, and tomato juice, increased the sausage and zucchini amounts, etc.). We now have enough for two more nights. I was very pleased at how tasty it was. Delicious and very easy. I will definitely make this again and have already shared the recipe with two relatives."
"I have made this several times, it's my favorite soup but I have modified it a little. I add other veggies and make a big batch to freeze. Very good and easy."