The combination of tender meatballs plus potatoes, carrots and pearl onions in a golden gravy really hit the spot on chilly days after we'd worked up an appetite doing our morning chores. Mom served it with pride for Saturday dinners when I was growing up on the farm.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed golden mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 jar (16 ounces) whole pearl onions, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, chopped onion, salt, marjoram and thyme. Add beef and mix well. Shape into 48 meatballs.
- In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Add broth, soup, potatoes, carrots and pearl onions; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Meatball Stew in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p35
Reviews for Simple Meatball Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review