Simple Marinated Vegetables
Crisp and refreshing, this lovely veggie salad takes center stage whenever Hindy Silberstein serves it. "I like to toss it together for large gatherings and parties," she says from Highland Mills, New York. "I always place it in the middle of the table so folks have easy access. Before I know it, my 'center-piece' bowl is empty!"
10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 3 medium yellow summer squash, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 each medium green, sweet red, yellow and orange peppers, sliced or chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole baby corn, drained
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the squash, peppers, onion, corn and carrot.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining
- ingredients; shake well. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 89 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 243 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat.