Simple Maple Baked Beans
I came up with this recipe in a pinch after running out of baked beans at our oldest daughter's birthday party. I dressed up canned beans with maple syrup and a few other ingredients to produce this sweet, saucy version that tastes like homemade. They're so easy to fix that I rarely make baked beans from scratch anymore.
8-10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) baked beans
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup maple syrup
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, cook onion in oil until tender. Add
- the beans, mustard and garlic salt. Cook over medium heat until
- bubbly, stirring occasionally. Add maple syrup; heat through,
- stirring occasionally. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 168 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 513 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein.