With macaroni, kidney beans, tomatoes, zucchini and lots of other veggies, this flavorful soup is hearty enough for dinner with corn bread or hot rolls. It really hits the spot on a cold day.
Featured In: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute carrots and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, water, zucchini, basil, salt, oregano, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the kidney beans, spinach, macaroni and parsley. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until macaroni is tender. Garnish with cheese. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Vegetable Soup in Country Extra March 2006, p51
Reviews for Simple Italian Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 6, 2013
Reviewed Oct. 6, 2012
"Excellent. I added ground turkey and a little tomato paste."
Reviewed Apr. 4, 2011
"I made this soup with the addition of one pound of ground sicilian sausage...It was wonderful and a hardy one dish winter delight."