Simple Italian Subs
These subs are a good year-roundfor lunch, dinner or a late-night supper. When it's construction season, Brian may work until sundown. This meal's one that I can serve early to our kids and again later when he gets home.Nanci Keatley, Salem, Oregon
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) French bread
- 6 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 12 thin slices fully cooked ham or turkey
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Cut bread in half horizontally; set top aside. Place three slices of
- cheese on bottom half; layer with ham and tomato.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, basil, pepper and rosemary;
- drizzle over tomato. Top with remaining cheese.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Replace bread top. Cut into four pieces; serve immediately. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 405 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 1,293 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 32 g protein.