Simple Italian Sausage Soup Recipe
- 5 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each), sliced
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 small zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 ounces uncooked linguine, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the water, tomatoes, zucchini, green pepper, bouillon, basil, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in linguine. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until linguine is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 10 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/4 cups equals 169 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 634 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 high-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Simple Italian Sausage Soup
"this is fantastic! i do tweek it some and add more tomtoes than it calls for but it's a keeper!"
"This was a really great soup recipe and my husband even liked it, he hates everything!!"
"These flavors were great! I've made this recipe several times. I use hot turkey Italian sausage and cook it in the slow cooker. I add the linguine, (I've also used orzo or rice) right before serving. I find that soup flavors blend so nicely after slow cooking."
"nice blend of spices, great on a cold day with garlic texas toast"