Simple Italian Sausage Soup
“This is definitely a meal on its own. It smells so good while cooking. The men are always glad to walk in the door after work and see this on the stove.” —Joan Oakland, Troy, Montana
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each), sliced
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 small zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 ounces uncooked linguine, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until
- sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the water, tomatoes, zucchini, green pepper, bouillon, basil,
- oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in linguine. Cover and
- simmer for 10-15 minutes or until linguine is tender. Sprinkle with
- cheese. Yield: 10 servings (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups equals 169 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 634 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,