Simple Italian Beef Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- 12 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1. Cut roast in half; place in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Combine the broth, dressing mix and seasonings; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until tender.
- 2. Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices; reserve 1 cup juices. Shred beef and return to slow cooker. Stir in reserved cooking juices; heat through.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender.
- 4. Using a slotted spoon, place beef on bun bottoms; layer with cheese and vegetables. Replace bun tops. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 346 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Simple Italian Beef Sandwiches
"Made this for a small fellowship we attend. My husband said it was good and he's difficult to please. I omitted the onion and green pepper for ease of assembling the sandwiches. The cook avoids beef, so she can't comment on the taste."