Simple Irish Soda Bread Recipe
It must be the luck of the Irish to get to share the scrumptious recipe for this well-known Irish bread. Enjoy it with dinner or your morning cup of tea. —Gloria Warczak, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Combine egg and buttermilk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Shape into a 5-in. round loaf. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. cross about 1/4 in. deep on top of loaf. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (4 slices).
1 slice equals 211 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 334 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Simple Irish Soda Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC