Simple Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Combine egg and buttermilk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Shape into a 5-in. round loaf. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. cross about 1/4 in. deep on top of loaf. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (4 slices).
Reviews for Simple Irish Soda Bread(5)
Sort By :
I made this yesterday and it was good.
This recipe is very good. I didn't have raisins on hands, but I substituted blueberries instead. Turned out great! I will definitely make it again. Thanks for sharing.
I have made this recipe twice. The first time I misread the amount of butter and did indeed put in 4 tablespoons. That was too much butter. The second time I made it according to the recipe and it was excellent. I plan on making this again for St Patrick's Day.
did you mean 4 tablespoons butter instead of teaspoons?
This is the nicest Irish Soda Bread that I have ever seen or tried and I now live in Ireland. Thank you.