Simple Herb Rice
"I revised an old stuffing recipe several times to come up with this simple savory side dish," shares Lisa Mathew of Buffalo, Missouri. "It's a breeze to prepare using instant rice, and everyone loves its herb flavor."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes or reduced-sodium chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups instant rice
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt, optional
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Dissolve bouillon
- in boiling water; add to the skillet. Stir in rice, parsley, sage
- and celery salt if desired.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or
- until rice is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 3/4-cup serving (prepared with reduced-fat margarine and reduced-sodium bouillon and without celery salt) equals 202 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 76 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.