Simple Hamburger Hot Dish Recipe
My dad particularly loved this casserole, which has been a family favorite for over 60 years. It’s just a simple, hearty combination of ground beef, potatoes and kidney beans. Both my husband and I grew up on farms in the Midwest, where lots of cattle are raised and lots of beef used in recipes.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the potatoes, beans, soup, parsley, chili powder if desired, salt and pepper.
- 2. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1-1/3 cups) equals 362 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 777 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC