Simple Hamburger Hot Dish Recipe
My dad particularly loved this casserole, which has been a family favorite for over 60 years. It’s just a simple, hearty combination of ground beef, potatoes and kidney beans. Both my husband and I grew up on farms in the Midwest, where lots of cattle are raised and lots of beef used in recipes.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the potatoes, beans, soup, parsley, chili powder if desired, salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hamburger Hot Dish in Country February/March 2006, p51
Reviews for Simple Hamburger Hot Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 9, 2012
"It does have a "farm" feel to it. Fills you up fast. Cozy."