"Simple-as-can-be" best describes this hearty cold soup from Chris Brooks of Prescott, Arizona. "You just chop and combine the ingredients, then chill," she advises. "It tastes great with crunchy croutons or breadsticks."
Recommended: Fresh, Balanced & Filling No-Cook Summer Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (46 ounces) vegetable juice
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 2 cups chopped cucumber
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and chill for 2-3 hours before serving. Serve cold. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Gazpacho in Country Woman May/June 1995, p24