This recipe is delicious with canned fruit, but fresh fruit can easily be substituted or added. It's also very versatile—you can use whatever fruit happens to be in season.
Recommended: 5-Ingredient Salad Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 can (29 ounces) sliced peaches, drained
- 1 large firm banana, slice, optional
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 of a 3-ounce package of peach or apricot gelatin
- Toss fruit in a large bowl, chill. n a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg; stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; coil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Pour over fruit and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Simple Fruit Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p107