- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups fresh or frozen corn, divided
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add onion; cook and stir over medium heat for 4 minutes or until tender. Add 4 cups corn; cook and stir until corn is softened, about 5 minutes. Add 2 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until corn is tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth; return all to the pan. Add the red pepper, rosemary, thyme, pepper, cayenne and remaining corn and broth; cook and stir for 10 minutes or until the corn is tender. Yield: 6 servings (about 1-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Simple Corn Chowder
Sort By :
This chowder is excellent. I did modify a bit. I used drained canned corn and reduced the chicken broth to one 14 oz can (about 2 cups), and omitted the rosemary and tyme. I also added a teaspoon of chicken soup base to get the flavor without the added liquid.
I don't care for corn but my husband wanted some corn chowder and I can't stand to buy the store bought so I searched out a healthy simple corn chowder recipe and came upon this one. He loved it and the biggest surprise is so did I, the person who hates cooked corn. I made it with fresh corn and it's gratifying to know all the ingredients going into our food are the best quality we can get.
Not good at all. Tastes like potpourri soup. Did not like the seasoning and it needs milk or cream"
My husband eats anything, and after 3 bites he pushed his bowl away and wouldn't eat anymore. This was not a favorite at my house--not even for me. It had a weird taste and the texture was off...perhaps I did something wrong in the cooking process, though. Sorry :(
Easy and good! The recipe is perfectly clear about the 4 cups of corn + 2 cups of broth & then adding the rest after you process it in the blender. (I used an immersion blender, worked great). If you want it chunkier, then don't process it so much. I love it because it is a healthier version of corn chowder, without all the potatoes & dairy.