Simple Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add potatoes and onion.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Simple Au Gratin Potatoes(17)
Sort By :
Very tasty dish. I added a 4.5 ounce can of mild green chiles to the recipe and it added just the right amount of zip for my families tastes. I also used a combination of red and Yukon gold potatoes, kept the peels on just scrubbed them well and sliced. With the addition of the peels and the chiles it amped up the flavors and the visual appeal as well.
Simple to make, really good. Great basic recipe.
Very tasty,,but next time I will double the sauce to make it creamier. I also added 1/8 tsp. of Thyme to give it extra flavor.
My very picky husband (who doesn't really like scalloped potatoes) said these are great. Guess all he needed was a little cheese to change his mind!
This was great! Even my picky eater husband liked it! I used red and Yukon Gold potatoes and did not peel them. Yum!