- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add potatoes and onion.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Simple Au Gratin Potatoes
"Favorite at our home, but I leave the salt to everyone's discretion."
"SALTY! I doubled the recipe and used only 2 teaspoons of salt in total and it was still way too much. These are good but the salt is distracting."
"This was good, not great. Omitted the onions and added more cheese and breadcrumbs. It came out a little runny but that could have been my fault as I probably could have left it in the oven longer. Probably will need to tweak a bit more."
"Easy & delicious! Prepped night before. Used red potatoes (my favorite). I added bacon for added flavor & a bit more cheese on top. Used corn starch, instead of flour, for gluten-free!"
"Really quick and easy sauce to make but after an hour had to turn my oven up to 425? to get my potatoes to cook. My husband loved them and I will use this recipe again!"
"Easy to make and yummy!!"
"We enjoyed this recipe. I followed the recipe as written except I added another cup of cheese on top and let them brown. For us it needed a bit more seasoning and onions"
"Amazing !!! It's a hit every time. I use almond milk instead of 2 %."
"Just made these potatoes last night. Used a little less salt as recommended and used the cheese I had on hand...shredded Colby & Monterey Jack. All other directions I followed as given. The result...the best au gratin potatoes I have ever made or tasted. I never go wrong with a Taste of Home recipe."
"Good recipe; can use the cheese mixture on Mac n cheese too. I made mine gluten and lactose free by using gluten free flour mix and lactaid milk and added more butter, melted it and poured some on top with extra cheese before baking. Great left over with eggs..... Garlic and onion powder for extra flavor."