Simple Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add potatoes and onion.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Simple Au Gratin Potatoes
Sort By :
Always a big hit in my house!
dollargirl, how did it go making for 100 people? Very curios, I was thinking about trying it.
I tried this a couple of weeks ago and my family loved it. I'm going to make it again tomorrow for a crowd of 100 people! Wish me luck!
A go-to in my home. Lots of sauce, but I too add an addition potato and it is perfect!
Very good flavor but a bit heavy on the onion. In following the recipe exactly, I felt there was too much sauce, which can easily be remedied by adding another potato or two to soak up more of the sauce. Next time I may add a minced clove of garlic as someone else suggested to see how that tastes as well as cut back a bit on the onion. Otherwise a very good side dish that was fairly easy to make.