Simple Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add potatoes and onion.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Simple Au Gratin Potatoes(15)
Sort By :
Very tasty,,but next time I will double the sauce to make it creamier. I also added 1/8 tsp. of Thyme to give it extra flavor.
My very picky husband (who doesn't really like scalloped potatoes) said these are great. Guess all he needed was a little cheese to change his mind!
This was great! Even my picky eater husband liked it! I used red and Yukon Gold potatoes and did not peel them. Yum!
This is the same recipe that I grew up on. The only change I made was using 1 tsp. onion powder instead of the chopped onion (I just added it to the sauce mixture). Still yummy after all these years. A definite keeper!
Love this recipe! I add minced garlic when melting the butter. I've made this 3 times and the last time I doubled everything but the potatoes to make sure it was extra creamy. My family loved it!