Simple Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
These cheesy potatoes are always welcome at our dinner table, and they're so simple to make. A perfect complement to ham, this homey side dish also goes well with pork, chicken and other entrees. -Cris O'Brien, Virginia Beach, Virginia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours YIELD:6-8 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add potatoes and onion.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 224 calories, 10 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 605 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC