Simmered Turkey Enchiladas
Here's a different way to serve an economical cut of meat. Simmer turkey thighs with tomato sauce, green chiles and seasonings until they're tender and flavorful. Then shred the turkey and serve it in tortillas with other fresh fixings. —Stella Schams, Tempe, Arizona
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 pounds turkey thighs or drumsticks
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: chopped green onions, sliced ripe olives, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and shredded lettuce
- Remove skin from turkey; place turkey in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a
- small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, chilies, onion, Worcestershire
- sauce, chili powder and garlic powder; pour over turkey. Cover and
- cook on low for 6-8 hours or until turkey is tender.
- Remove turkey; shred meat with a fork and return to the slow cooker.
- Heat through.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of turkey mixture down the center of each
- tortilla. Fold bottom of tortilla over filling and roll up. Add
- toppings of your choice. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2 enchiladas equals 497 calories, 20 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 1,028 mg sodium,