Simmered Swiss Steak
"My husband and I are beef lovers, and we truly enjoy the flavor of this round steak," writes Cindy Stewart from her kitchen in Deshler, Ohio. "It's simple to make, but it tastes like it took several hours."
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1-1/4 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless beef round steak
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- In a small bowl, combine the potato flakes, 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- powder, onion powder and pepper; sprinkle over steak. Pound with a
- mallet to tenderize.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown steak in oil on both
- sides. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and
- remaining garlic powder until onion is tender. Return steak to the
- pan; add tomatoes and broth. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until
- meat is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (8 ounces) equals 258 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 275 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein.