Simmered Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1-1/4 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless beef round steak
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the potato flakes, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, onion powder and pepper; sprinkle over steak. Pound with a mallet to tenderize.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown steak in oil on both sides. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and remaining garlic powder until onion is tender. Return steak to the pan; add tomatoes and broth. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (8 ounces) equals 258 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 275 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Reviews for Simmered Swiss Steak
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.