Simmered Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1-1/4 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless beef round steak
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the potato flakes, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, onion powder and pepper; sprinkle over steak. Pound with a mallet to tenderize.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown steak in oil on both sides. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and remaining garlic powder until onion is tender. Return steak to the pan; add tomatoes and broth. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
8 ounce-weight: 258 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein
Reviews for Simmered Swiss Steak
"This recipe just didn't have any zip, flavor-wise. Even doubling up on garlic and onion powder didn't make any difference. It was a simple recipe--too bad it didn't taste better."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.