Simmered Sirloin with Noodles Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 6 cups hot cooked yolk-free noodles
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onions, mushrooms and garlic in butter over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Add the consomme, Worcestershire sauce and basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes.
- 2. Combine flour and water until smooth; add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1/2 cup meat mixture with 1 cup noodles) equals 451 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 798 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 2 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.