- 1-1/4 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 6 cups hot cooked yolk-free noodles
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onions, mushrooms and garlic in butter over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Add the consomme, Worcestershire sauce and basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Simmered Sirloin with Noodles
Sort By :
"I made this for dinner tonight and the only thing I questioned was the 50 to 60 minute simmer time. When I started the noodles boiling I turned the sirloin down to simmer with the sauce mixture in it. When the noodles were close to done I thickened the sauce with the flour and water and it was done and tender. Simmering a sirloin for an hour with give you shoe leather."
"I love this recipe. I live overseas in different countries so I have to modify it to suit what I am able to find. Beef broth & Worcestershire Sauce is a tough thing to find in Asia and Europe (a least where I have lived) so I use chicken broth mixture that I found with several dried vegetables in it. We just love this dish and it taste different each and every time we have it."
"I've made this several times and the whole family loves it. I make extra gravy as there isn't quite enough for the noodles for our taste. This is a staple for me while dieting since it doesn't taste light at all."
"Absolutely delicious! Great recipe and easy too. I will be making this again.I added a little red wine, sugar and fresh ground black pepper along with some diced celery (1 stalk)to the recipe. I garnished it with fresh minced parsley and served it over egg noodles alongside steamed broccoli and sourdough rolls. Yum!"