Silky Chocolate Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches), see below
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Cognac or brandy
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Baking cocoa
- 1. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- 2. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 10-12 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the chocolate, Cognac and vanilla until chocolate is melted.
- 4. Transfer to a clean bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Cool filling to room temperature. Spoon into crust. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, about 4 hours.
- 5. For topping, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add Cognac and confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Dust lightly with cocoa. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 579 calories, 39g fat (24g saturated fat), 211mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Silky Chocolate Pie
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.