Silky Chocolate Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches), see below
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Cognac or brandy
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Baking cocoa
- 1. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- 2. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 10-12 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the chocolate, Cognac and vanilla until chocolate is melted.
- 4. Transfer to a clean bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Cool filling to room temperature. Spoon into crust. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, about 4 hours.
- 5. For topping, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add Cognac and confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Dust lightly with cocoa. Yield: 8 servings.
PASTRY FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE (9 INCHES): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/8 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-4 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
1 piece: 579 calories, 39g fat (24g saturated fat), 211mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.