Chocolate makes the world go round! We have a family that just loves chocolate pies, and this version with a splash of brandy is smooth as silk and oh-so-special. —Kathy Hewitt, Cranston, Rhode Island
Featured In: Classic American Pie Recipes
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches), see below
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Cognac or brandy
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Baking cocoa
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 10-12 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the chocolate, Cognac and vanilla until chocolate is melted.
- Transfer to a clean bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Cool filling to room temperature. Spoon into crust. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, about 4 hours.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add Cognac and confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Spread over pie. Dust lightly with cocoa. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Silky Chocolate Pie in Taste of Home February/March 2013
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Silky Chocolate Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 12, 2014
Reviewed Jan. 25, 2013