- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 6 slices process American cheese, cut into pieces
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese until melted. Stir in the potatoes and onion.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Silk Purse Potatoes in Taste of Home August/September 2005, p 15
Reviews for Silk Purse Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 21, 2016
"We love these! I made them several years ago for the first time and my daughter in law begged me to make them several times since!"