Silence of the Yams
The adobo sauce gives just enough heat to make this a unique yam dish. It is delicious and is a perfect orange color for a Halloween gathering.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds medium sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sauce from chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 red chili peppers, optional
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until just
- tender. Drain and cool slightly. Peel and cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- Arrange potato slices in overlapping rings in an ungreased 9-in.
- deep-dish pie plate.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and cream until
- smooth; add the adobo sauce, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over
- Cut a mouth, eyes and nose from red peppers to resemble a
- Jack-o'-lantern face; place over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 6