- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato paste, water, 1 teaspoon sugar, salt, basil, garlic powder, chili powder and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- In a large saucepan, saute green onion in oil until tender. Add cream cheese and milk; stir until blended. Stir in 1/3 cup cheese, and remaining sugar and pepper. Drain noodles; stir into cheese mixture.
- In a greased 8-in.-square baking dish, arrange alternate rows of beef and noodle mixtures. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Sicilian Supper
Sort By :
"This is delicious. I cheated a little bit (to only use one pan) cooked the noodles, drained and rinsed, then used the same saucepan for the meat mixture; put meat into the baking dish, then rinsed out the pan and used it to cook the cheese mixture; put the noodle/cheese on top of the meat. Ended up with only one layer of each, but presentation was good and cleanup was easy. Oh, and I only used a tiny sprinkle of sugar in the meat and none in the cheese. Excellent!"
"Much better than a plain old casserole! We loved the cream cheese and the arrangement of mixtures. Very good flavors, I will definitely make again!"
"Even though this takes two pans and a pyrex casserole, it is not difficult to make and the result was delicious."
"I omitted the green peppers, and this was excellent, definitely a keeper that should be tried.There are two distinct flavors that come together wonderfully.tom, connelly springs nc"
"My family just could not get enough of this delicious dish!!!!! They just LOVED it!!!!"