Sicilian Supper Recipe
Ground beef, tomato and a tasty cream cheese sauce come together in this hot, hearty casserole. I recently took it to a banquet, and recipe requests came from every table.
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook noodles according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato paste, water, 1 teaspoon sugar, salt, basil, garlic powder, chili powder and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- 3. In a large saucepan, saute green onion in oil until tender. Add cream cheese and milk; stir until blended. Stir in 1/3 cup cheese, and remaining sugar and pepper. Drain noodles; stir into cheese mixture.
- 4. In a greased 8-in.-square baking dish, arrange alternate rows of beef and noodle mixtures. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC