Sicilian Overstuffed Sandwich Wedges Recipe
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1 jar (16 ounces) roasted sweet red pepper strips, drained
- 1/4 pound sliced pepperoni
- 1. Cut loaf of bread in half; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the olives, parsley, oil, oregano, vinegar, garlic, pepper and pepper flakes. Spoon half into bread shell. Layer with pepperoncini, salami, cheese, roasted peppers, pepperoni and remaining olive mixture. Replace bread top.
- 3. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight. Cut into eight wedges. Yield: 8 servings.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested with Vlasic roasted red pepper strips. Look for pepperoncini (pickled peppers) in the pickle and olive section of your grocery store.
1 wedge: 434 calories, 27g fat (8g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 1410mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.