Sicilian Orange Salad
Red onion and orange slices sprinkled with basil, oil and ground pepper make a pretty presentation that's bound to brighten any meal. "This zesty salad is even more colorful when you use dark-red blood oranges," writes Beverly Coyde of Gasport, New York.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 6 large navel oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- On a serving platter, alternately arrange orange and onion slices,
- with the slices slightly overlapping. Sprinkle with basil. Drizzle
- with oil and sprinkle with pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving equals 133 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit, 1 fat.