Sicilian Nachos Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 48 slices French bread baguette (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the first five ingredients over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Stir in basil.
- 3. Rub baguette slices with garlic halves; place on ungreased baking sheets. Brush lightly with oil. Bake at 400° for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 4. Arrange toast on serving platters; top with beef mixture and cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving: 212 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 455mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein .
Reviews for Sicilian Nachos
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.