- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 48 slices French bread baguette (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the first five ingredients over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Stir in basil.
- Rub baguette slices with garlic halves; place on ungreased baking sheets. Brush lightly with oil. Bake at 400° for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Arrange toast on serving platters; top with beef mixture and cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Sicilian Nachos in Taste of Home October 2011, p27
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Sicilian Nachos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Beef Appetizers >
- Beef Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Hot Appetizer Recipes >
- Hot Finger Food Recipes >
- Italian Appetizers >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Carb Appetizers >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Appetizers >
- Low Fat Recipes >