Shrunken Apple Heads in Citrus Cider
Granny Smith apples shaped like shrunken heads will surprise even the scariest goblins at your Halloween bash. And the cool cider is so refreshing.--Annette Engelbert, Bruce Crossing, Michigan
17 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 2 hours + cooling
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 large Granny Smith apples
- 16 whole cloves
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and salt; set aside. Peel
- apples. Cut each apple from the stem to the blossom end; discard
- seeds and core. Using a sharp knife, carefully carve a face on the
- rounded side of each apple half. After carving, dip each apple in
- lemon juice mixture for 1 minute. Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange apple heads on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at
- 250° for 2 hours or until apples begin to dry and shrink and are
- lightly browned on the edges. Cool on a wire rack. Insert cloves for
- eyes. Store in the refrigerator.
- Just before serving, combine cider and lemonade in a punch bowl.
- Float shrunken apple heads in cider. Yield: about 1 gallon.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 174 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 441 mg sodium,