Shrunken Apple Heads in Citrus Cider Recipe
Granny Smith apples shaped like shrunken heads will surprise even the scariest goblins at your Halloween bash. And the cool cider is so refreshing.--Annette Engelbert, Bruce Crossing, Michigan
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 large Granny Smith apples
- 16 whole cloves
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and salt; set aside. Peel apples. Cut each apple from the stem to the blossom end; discard seeds and core. Using a sharp knife, carefully carve a face on the rounded side of each apple half. After carving, dip each apple in lemon juice mixture for 1 minute. Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange apple heads on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 250° for 2 hours or until apples begin to dry and shrink and are lightly browned on the edges. Cool on a wire rack. Insert cloves for eyes. Store in the refrigerator.
- Just before serving, combine cider and lemonade in a punch bowl. Float shrunken apple heads in cider. Yield: about 1 gallon.
Originally published as Shrunken Apple Heads in Citrus Cider in Taste of Home Halloween Food & Fun Annual 2006, p8
Reviews for Shrunken Apple Heads in Citrus Cider(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review