Shrimp with Vegetables Recipe
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 medium yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, water and soy sauce until smooth; set aside. In a nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry the onion, red pepper, zucchini and summer squash in hot oil for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp, tarragon, lemon peel and crushed pepper flakes. Stir-fry until shrimp turns pink and vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes. Stir soy sauce mixture; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
One serving (1-1/2 cups shrimp mixture, calculated without rice) equals 302 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 259 mg cholesterol, 862 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 38 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.