- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add tomatoes, wine, oregano, salt, pepper flakes and paprika; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and cheese; cook 5-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in mint. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Shrimp with Tomatoes & Feta
"I had some feta I needed to use, and I thought this recipe sounded good. It was actually GREAT! I made it with wine and we loved the taste the wine imparts to this dish. The only changes I made was thickening the tomato sauce a bit with a little Wondra flour and white wine mixed together, and using sweet onion instead of shallots. It was fantastic! I will make this again, especially during fresh tomato season."
"I thought the dish sounded good and made it as written with the exception of using only 1 tablespoon oil instead of 3. One worked just fine for cooking the shallot and garlic. I think it needs more of the seasonings. It finally tasted like 5 stars on the 3 day I ate it."
"we loved it, a ittle garlic bread or dipping sauce and it was great all by its self. If it was over something like rice or noodles it wouldn't be as good."
"An instant family favorite! So easy to pull together, and I just loved the flavor of the simple tomato sauce. The feta adds a creaminess. So good! (I did leave out the mint, personal preference)"
"Nice and light served over rice. Will also try over pasta."