- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 2 large sweet yellow peppers
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 2/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- AVOCADO DRESSING:
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- Lemon slices and cilantro leaves
- Cut peppers in half; remove stems and seeds. Broil skin side up 4 in. from the heat until skins are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the beans, tomatoes, onion, cilantro and jalapeno in a large bowl. Peel off and discard charred skin from peppers. Cut into thin 1-in. strips; add to tomato mixture and set aside.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the lemon juice, oil, pepper flakes, salt and cumin; add shrimp. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- For dressing, combine the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, cilantro, salt and cayenne in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Add avocado; cover and pulse just until blended.
- Drain and discard marinade from shrimp. In a large skillet, saute shrimp for 3-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Add to pepper mixture. Add 1/2 cup avocado dressing; toss to coat. Spoon into serving glasses or bowls; serve with remaining avocado dressing. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Shrimp with Roasted Peppers in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p27
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Shrimp with Roasted Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review