Shrimp with Creole Sauce Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 celery rib with leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 36 cooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and celery in oil for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain tomatoes, reserving juice; add juice to skillet. Mash tomatoes and add to skillet. Stir in the parsley, water, tomato paste, lime juice and seasonings.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until thickened. Serve warm with shrimp. Yield: 12 servings.
3 shrimp with 1/3 cup sauce equals 56 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 292 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.