Shrimp Tostadas with Avocado Salsa Recipe
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 teaspoons lime juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons blackened seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 small navel orange, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 6 tostada shells
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons avocado, water, 1 teaspoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon blackened seasoning and cumin. Set aside 1/4 cup beans; add remaining beans to avocado mixture and mash with a fork. Stir in reserved beans. Set aside.
- 2. For salsa, in a small bowl, combine the orange, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and remaining avocado and lime juice. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 3. Place tostada shells on ungreased baking sheets; spread with bean mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350° for 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook shrimp and remaining blackened seasoning over medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Arrange over tostada shells; serve with salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
1 tostada with 2 tablespoons salsa equals 285 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 517 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.